We’re doing a secret Santa (or whatever politically correct name) over in my Ravelry group and this is to help my partner out. And the local knitterati knows about the blog so they might like some info too.
1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
Picked up the drop spindle for the first time in Dec 2008 but had no luck till Summer 09. I guess I’m intermediate – I can manage to get fiber to turn into yarn and now I’m learning how to control the outcome a little better.
2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?
2 ply, 3 ply. I can’t seem to get the hang of a single that I could leave as is. I’m sure reading some directions someplace would be a great idea.
3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
Spindle. Scout doesn’t deserve to have a wheel taking up space. Yet.
4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don’t like?
Well I’m an alpaca girl through and through. I’m having good luck with bamboo and silk. I don’t love BFL. I prefer natural fibers but there’s a ton of fun in firestar too 🙂
5. Who are your favorite fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
I’m all about the etsy yarns. Stash Up Yarns is where I get my bamboo/cotton blends. I love From Rebekah with Love (but haven’t bought anything there yet). My latest purchase was from Critter Ranch and I ADORE it.
6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
Hm. Wow. I don’t think I have an answer. I don’t know what there is out there I haven’t tried … I do have an endless fascination with the artyarn skeins that are primarily the same color but made up of a billion different kinds of yarn and textures.
7. Are there any techniques you would like to learn?
Navajo plying, Chilean plying ….
8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
I don’t dye fiber, I would LIKE to learn, however see the above comment on what Scout deserves. I’m holding off on dying along with spinning with a wheel.
9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I *do* want a Little Kitten drum carder. Come spring I’ll have the fleeces from my FIVE alpacas and I want to be able to card some of them.
10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
I have a patchwork quilt I’m doing using Phat Fiber samples and other yarns I’ve bought in a purple/yellow/green color scheme (with some pink and blue sneaking in).
11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
I could use a WPI gauge. I always need tapestry needles because I lose mine.
12. What colors “fall into your shopping basket”? Any colors you just can’t stand?
mmm. Fall colors. Then the purple/yellow/green for the project above. I don’t think I’ve ever purchased bright orange, anything neon …
13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
Just the leader, but I have a Frogs and Polliwogs from Critter Ranch I want to get some more work done on.
14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
Is trying to clean and organize my house a hobby? I like to say it is, because that makes it sound like a fun challenge. I blog. I read … Well I used to read, I’d like to take it up again. I do like scrapbooking.
15. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I like simple patterns that show off the yarn. The only thing I don’t ever plan to knit are socks. And fake poo.
16. When is your birthday?
17. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
I get told I look like Kate Winslet. Personality … I’m coming up with Joan Cusack in Grosse Point Blank…
18. What is the climate like where you live around this time?
We’re having a late fall so it’s still no coat weather for me.
19. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
I grew up in a funeral home.
Dark chocolate. Almonds. Some coconut.
Thai, Indian, mac n cheese.
Coffee with gonna kill me fake creamer, Water, clear alcohols
Love Actually, Serenity, Sweet Home Alabama, Down with Love
Greys, Bones, Buffy, Castle
anything involving the Sweet Potato Queens 🙂
I’m pretty sure it involves food …