1. If he says, “I’m not sure you are the one,” I shouldn’t try to convince him otherwise.
2. If the relationship has to be secret, it shouldn’t exist.
3. If he says he “can’t” shake off a girl, it’s because he doesn’t want to. If my gut is pinging, I should listen.
4. I can tell a lot about a man by his offspring.
5. If I try to do something nice and he says “you don’t have to do that”, I shouldn’t waste my time.
6. Related: If I feel like he needs mothering, I should move on. I have a son, I want a partner.
7. Chemistry is damn important. Fire and melting – not just for makin’ s’mores.
8. If he’s whining about his life and not doing anything about it, I should let my foot hit him in the balls as I walk out the door. See also: #6
9. If he’s shouldering responsibility and doing his best, I can offer my support, and then trust him to know what needs to be done.
10. I am happy with myself and the life I have built, I am beginning to be ready to try.
YES…THAT. All of it. I almost jumped up and cheered.
It’s been year for learning and growing for both of us. Here’s to kicking ass in 2012!
Applauding!!!! <3 you
awesome list. I’m a big fan of 7 and 8.
Many wise ideas here. I promised myself in the year I set out to find the best relationship for me that I would not settle and I wanted someone who as perfect for me. My first step was to make myself into the woman I wanted to be, and bam! Within 6 months I was engaged, two months later, we wed. Our 9th anniversary is on Valentine’s day. When you’re ready, you’ll find the one who is ready, too.
I love your list. I always find myself saying “hell yes” when I read your posts, this is no exception.